This episode is going to be a little bit different than the previous episodes. We had switched from cold reviewing the items on demand to sitting down, tasting all on our own times, going back and re-tasting for better comparison and then after all the notes had been taken, we reviewed each individually. This method works much better, because the reviews can now be more in-depth, and the earlier items have comparisons. I’ve decided to leave in the initial tasting part where we’re all talking over one another. At times it gets confusing, and you might not be sure which cookie is being talked about, but most of the time it’s clear which is which. If the chatter gets to be too much for you to handle, feel free to fast forward to [23:20] to get straight to the point.
Archive for April, 2009
Call for Brands for the upcoming recording of flavored sandwich cookies (flavors other than the traditional chocolate cookie/vanilla filling)
- Country Choice Organics 5 varieties. Including chocolate creme, vanilla, mint creme, and ginger-lemon.
- Newman’s Own chocolate creme, ginger, peanut butter, mint creme (as well as wheat-free)
- Back to Nature chocolate mint,
- Health Valley has a vanilla flavor
- KinniToos has a vanilla flavor
- Nutter Butters (obvious)
- OREO Duo – monoglycerides/flavors (are vegan according to Kraft.)
- OREO golden, golden+chocolate filling/uh-oh, double delight mint, chocolate/chocolate filling, Fudgees – natural/artificial flavors (are vegan according to Kraft.)
- Back to Nature peanut butter – natural flavor (are vegan according to Kraft.)
Not vegan: (at the time of recording. remember companies are reformulating all the time. so keep checking those packages)
- OREO fudge mint has whey (and partially hydrogenated oils)
- Back to Nature covered mint has whey :-(
- Nature’s Promise (going by memory, but i think it was whey)
- Snackwell’s (contains milk, whey, glycerides, DATEM and a host of other potentially non-vegan ingredients)
- E.L. Fudge (egg, whey, undisclosed flavors, palm kernel oil)
- Cameo (whey)
- Famous Amos: vanilla, peanut butter, oatmeal macaroon (natural/artificial flavors – confirmed non-vegan by Kelloggs)
- Vienna Fingers (natural/artificial flavor) (They said their Vitamin D is a mix of D2 and D3. Parent company is Kashi.)
- New Morning Graham-wiches chocolate/peanut butter, honey graham/vanilla (honey)
- Trader Joe’s Joe-Joe’s – dark chocolate covered? vanilla cookie and creme? none of the joe-joes are listed on their vegan PDF, but that might be an oversight. they are on the vegetarian PDF (html version here) Also available seasonally are the candy-cane joe-joes. and I think we might have a benefactor that had hoarded us a box from this past winter. *fingers crossed that the waiting wasn’t too unbareable for her* haha!
- Wild Harvest Organics vanilla sandwich. (ingredients aren’t on the web) (contacted)
- Supervalu’s Shopper’s Value
- Giant’s brand Twisto’s (their website only indicates traditional flavors, but you’d never know)
- Wegman’s mint, chocolate with chocolate creme (artificial flavors)
gosh. my stomach is yelling at me just looking at the list.
shout out if you know of a brand that isn’t here. (you can also send a tweet @veganreview)
A Quick NoteEpisodes 0-2 sound terrible, but starting at episode 3, it starts getting good. stick around. It'll keep getting better, promise. :-)
VR Elsewhere on the internet
Call and leave Voicemail
make sure to leave your name/username and town.
(if you don't want the voicemail to be shared on the podcast, please indicate so. otherwise, i will assume you want to be featured.)
- RT @vegancoupons: not food, i know, but cheap movies are great! - 4 movie tickets redeemable at fandango or movietickets.com for $20... ... 6 years ago
- attn: @foodnetwork top 5 list of potential #vegan hosts (skip to the comments, don't bother reading the article itself) http://bit.ly/9oRqzg 6 years ago
- RT @PotatoChampion: VOTE. VOTE. VOTE. VOTE. VOTE. We're still at 9th! Do Xela and KP really need to set up that car wash? Would... ht ... 6 years ago
- RT @vegancoupons: help a vegan food truck win $10,000, and you can win a trip to NYC's wine & food festival. the participating... http ... 6 years ago
- RT @VegNews: Veggie Award voting closes at midnight! This is not a drill—keep calm and vote on! Did we mention the prizes? http://tinyur ... 6 years ago