sorry for the delay. i was all set to upload this episode nearly 2 weeks ago, but the laptop decided to take a nose dive. we hadn’t backed up any of our data, so i was a bit freaked out, since there were 4 episodes that have already been recorded, but not processed and uploaded. luckily it was only a logic board, and the hard drive was unscathed. *exhales* we purchased an external hard drive, so if anything happens again between recording date and upload date, all will be hunky-dory. (details and a picture if you’re interested)
here is a link to the ingredient lists of each soymilk at the time of recording. (we’re missing 2, so we’ll try our hardest to get that list up ASAP)
and here is a link to the call for brands for the eventual 2nd episode of soymilk. if you know of a brand that hasn’t been mentioned, please leave a comment and let us know.
Episode 01 – Soymilks (plain and vanilla).m4a (let me know if you’ll need this in MP3 format, and i’ll upload a few of those at a time.)
here’s a selected portion of the transcript and some extra information.
hello, and welcome to the OFFICIAL episode 1 of vegan review. in this episode, we are going to be reviewing plain and vanilla soymilks. we have 2 boxes of unsweetened plain, 11 boxes of sweetened plain, and 8 boxes of vanilla. (so 21 different boxes of soymilk in all.) we have decided to leave chocolate and other flavored soymilks for a future episode. i’m sure it would have been overkill if we had tried to fit it all in here. we definitely didn’t catch nearly all of the available brands nationwide. since we had to stick to only the brands that we could get in our local stores, we couldn’t go overboard with the variety. even with these limitations, i’m happy with the variety we had for this episode. we got most of the major brands, and even a few of the generics. I’m sad that we only acquired 2 brands of unsweetened, and that we didn’t have any zensoy or wild harvest organics [oops, i meant organic valley we DID taste wild harvest this episode] …as i’m a fan of those, but because it was our first day of recording, we weren’t very organized, and soymilk is expensive these days. aah well. what’s done is done. we were just getting into our groove and we’ve learned a few things from this first day of recording. maybe someday we’ll have a round 2 with the winners of this episode and the additional brands that we didn’t taste test this time.
this episode was recorded as a blind taste test, so my apologies in advance for the disembodied head interjecting the names of the products. If you’re listening on an MP3 player with a screen, or if you’re listening through iTunes, all of the episodes will have the product lists or images of the product embedded if you wish to follow along that way. but it’s not necessary. the images and lists are just a little bonus feature. (mp3s don’t have that capability, so that is why the episodes will be m4a)
unfortunately, when we were associating the names of the plain soymilks with the corresponding numbers, we made a mistake and shifted them all 2 spaces. (this is because the unsweetened plains were bullies and took spaces # 1 and 2, and then we inadvertently misnumbered the rest. but as i was listening to the reviews, it wasn’t making sense until i shifted them, and then it made ALL the sense in the world.)
that’s it for episode 1. Be sure to check veganreview.info (or veganreview.wordpress.com) for upcoming episodes and to leave feedback or to suggest products for future episodes. we try our hardest to find a wide selection of brands to taste test, but we need your help in being as thorough as possible. the more brands we compare, the more effective these podcasts will be. Thanks for listening, and be sure to tune in next time for 11 varieties of heirloom tomatoes.
the following lists are the order in which they tasted the best with some commentary. the + and – signs are how many people liked or disliked that particular brand.
- Vitasoy Unsweetened Organic: very creamy, a little salty, more flavor the preferred of the two.
- Westsoy Organic Unsweetened Plain: very watery, beany, very little flavor, quite a few “yucks”
- 365 Original: nice, creamy, good, “good body” ++++
- Wild Harvest Organic: creamy, mild, good, chalky aftertaste ++++ -
- Vitasoy Lite Plus Plain: nutty, tastes like oatmilk, natural, fruity ++
- Wegmans Plain (refrigerated): “meh”, “not bad, but not fantastic”, very little flavor, watery. +
- Silk Plain (aseptic packaging): Slightly beany, not bad though.
- Trader Joe’s Original: Tastes like Vanilla, watery, Kaopectate-tasting -
- EdenBlend Original Rice & Soy Beverage: not bad, chalky aftertaste -
- Soy Dream Original: too much sweetness, tastes like raisins, tastes like rice krispies, very rice-y texture. -
- 8th Continent Original (refrigerated): watery, too sweet – -
- Westsoy Plus Plain: BAD!!!, bland, watery, “opaque water” “not bad, but not good.” – – -
- Edensoy Original: Off-taste, disgusting, tastes like chemicals, yuck! – – – – -
- Silk Very Vanilla (refrigerated): super sweet, strongest vanilla flavor, too sweet, not for dunking ++++ -
- Wegman’s Vanilla (refrigerated): not bad, beany, sweet, marshmallow-y ++
- Kirkland Organic Vanilla: not bad, marshmallow-y, chalky aftertaste -
- Pathmark Vanilla (refrigerated): ok, watery, pretty beany, not bad. – -
- Vitasoy Lite Vanilla: much better, tastes like soda aftertaste, cough medicine weird. – – -
- Trader Joe’s Vanilla: not sweet! tastes like regular soymilk, chalky. (smells like vanilla) – – -
- Edensoy Vanilla: really dark, eww, burnt flavor, you can taste the brown rice syrup. i don’t like that at all. (wheat and barley extracts) – – – – -
- Westsoy Unsweetened Organic Vanilla: bad, very wrong, watery, bad almond-y, “check the expiration date” (wasn’t expired) mouth feels dry. – – – – – -